Skip to main content

Valentine Arrived Early: Shell Craft DIY



Remember my last beach post?

I finally found great ideas for what to make with my seashells  treasures.

I initially wanted to make a seahorse but discovered I did not have enough shells and I didn't like the look of my starfish either; so seeing the atmosphere was beginning to emit 'lovey-dovey' radiations, why not make a heart-shell craft or shell-heart craft? So heart-whatever-combination it was.


Materials required
Seashells ('main ingredient')
Frame / Hardboard / cardboard or desired background
Glue / Gum
Blade / scissors
Ribbon / bow / embellishment...whatever floats your boat

Just two or three steps involved, really. (A very appropriate craft for a lazy busy crafter...like me)

'Free-hand' draw your heart shape or use any round object to draw the desired shape on the board or background you are using.

Arrange your shells as desired and hot-glue to the board.

(More simply: spread glue / gum on the board you are using and arrange shells on top, press down to secure in place)

Voila.



I made use of scrap hard cards I found around the house. Actually came from the kids' Christmas gift pack while the ribbon/bow is from a gift hamper which should have long found their way to the dumps. (Yours truly is a master hoarder + scrap junkie)

 I briefly played around with the two backgrounds above but decided to go along with the plain brown background.

After 'gumming' the shells to the card, I merely taped the edges / borders with the ribbon and glued in place before adding the four shells to the four edges.

The outcome?
A not-so-perfect 'wall-hangable' heart shell craft.


Now let's talk flaws.

See the wrinkles on the borders and the spaces between the shells? Oh, I forgot the visible pencil lines too...lol...Combination of the above succeeded in tilting the scale a bit towards wonky. No sweats.

Now I know you are smarter, so if using ribbons, pat or smooth down with your fingers to eliminate wrinkles and fill every available space with pebbles or small shells.

And oh, be sure to erase visible pencil lines or cover them with shells.

I did neither but I'm calling it great and moving on. The boys called it beautiful too, it's a hit already with them and I'm hanging it in their room. With a blue ribbon too. The season is blue.

Even though today is January 20, it's never too early to indulge in some 'valentine' craft if that kind of stuff is up your alley.

This is a very fun DIY to do so, get the creative juice flowing and churn out some beachy shelly crafts.

Do have a beachy week, beautiful people..and let me just let out a little secret..I HEART YOU.

And remember:

Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. (I John 3:18)

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers.

Comments

  1. Hello Abiola.
    A gorgeous way to show and keep your beach treasures x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, forgetmenots blue.

      I really treasure my treasures and would like to keep them where I can see them everyday...

      Delete
  2. Abiola, this is cute! I have some seashells in the basement & I might pull them out to make a little project now that I remember I have them. It's WINTER, frozen ice and snow everywhere. Actually, I'm expecting a blizzard lol SO- A beach themed project would be nice to 'warm up' :) I love the verse you included as well.

    Ila from http://www.hehasms.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ila. Glad you're inspired somewhat by this post..so get those treasures out of the basement and go let's go a-crafting together. Would love to see the finished project.

      To think I complain about heat over here when you apparently could use some sunshine.

      Sending you lots of sunshine + warmth.

      Delete
  3. Your boys are right. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kiru. Yeah they are mummy's biggest fans, everything I do is 'aaawesome'...lol

      Delete
  4. E ku ise ma....it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sykik in the house, glad you visited...and thank you too.

      Delete
  5. It's just lovely!! Everything I make has flaws and I have just decided to embrace them. It makes my crafts original. Today our windchill is going to be -35, oh how I would love to be at the beach. Maybe someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda - for the visit / comment. And I also agree with flaws adding an original touch to crafts, when they are not major though..

      -35 degrees? wow...I'm sending truckloads of warmth to you right away...enjoying some 29 deg of sunshine over here.

      Delete
  6. Aww, it doesn't look bad. Pencil lines and all :D

    1 John 3:18 was the very first Bible verse i had to memorize

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Toin. That verse is also one of my fav verses.

      Delete
  7. Very cute craft!

    Thanks for linking up at Gingham & Roses!
    Hope to see you back next week!

    Tenns @ New Mama Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Tenns. 'Twas a pleasure linking up, will sure visit again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY: 15mins Easy Peasy Wrap Skirt

6 years ago when hubby-to-be and I decided to take that bold leap, I went hunting for the right material to make a nice outfit for our *introduction program and soon made me a nice skirt and blouse for the 'do'. Fast forwarded to 2013, my dress size understandably changed from 6 (yes I was a sz 6) to 10 and there was no other option than to give out my much loved outfit to someone who is slimmer. Only hitch being that the scarf went into hiding at the time I gave it away only to resurface last week from its hiding place deep within the closet.

Superheroes R Us..

  Totally unrelated to superheroes but it's what we're watching as I type this So we love Spiderman...Superman...Hulk as much as we love Old Trafford. It's official. Because I belong to an all-boys clan and if you can't beat them.... *sigh*...

Life is a beach...really

So this year got off to a very good start for me with lots of motivation packed into my 'big' frame. Hoping and praying to sail through the same way I started...you know...crossed over to 2014 with lots of prayers for a good year, then had lots of good heavy food (really tempted to take pictures of my culinary exploits and share here...but no thanks...). Talking about food, I did something weird...a post for another day, if I ever get round to it. Then I left Hubby and the kids alternating between Disney Junior and CNN and just crashed on the bed for some well deserved rest.Oh sweet, blissful rest.